Castellon, December 16, 2021
• In line with the announcement made on April 2021 by UBE Industries Ltd, UBE Corporation Europe undertakes to achieve carbon neutrality before 2050. This implies reaching the goal of zero net Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions in all the production processes carried out at the Castellon plant.
• UBE Corporation Europe publicly expresses its willingness to adopt the measures that are within its reach to contribute to the mitigation of climate change, and will deepen its efforts to accelerate its decarbonization process, which began some years ago, within its plan of sustainable growth in harmony with the global environment.
• The company also states that it will not limit its efforts in the fight against climate change to solely decarbonizing its production processes, but rather aims to become a provider of solutions, products and technologies for an increasingly decarbonized society. To achieve these carbon neutrality objectives, the UBE Corporation Europe group will apply the following main lines of action.
- Minimization of the energy intensity of its production processes, through the implementation of new technological improvements and optimized energy management systems.
- Maximization of the generation and purchase of energies obtained from CO2-free generation processes.
- Analysis and restructuring of its production processes to minimize the intensity of consumption of non-renewable or extinguishable resources, especially those of fossil origin, and also of natural resources such as water.
- Analysis and development of CO2 capture and reuse measures to compensate for residual GHG emissions that are not technically feasible to eliminate, favoring the reuse of said CO2 as raw material for chemical synthesis so that it can be useful in its own production processes.
- Reduction of GHG emissions in our clients’ supply chain by reincorporating into the production cycle products that have reached the end of their life cycle, with special emphasis on the reuse of plastic waste.
- Supply to the market a growing number of products and solutions that contribute to the reduction of GHG emissions or waste by its end users.
UBE Corporation Europe also acquires the commitment to set decarbonization objectives at intermediate milestones that allow monitoring of the indicators of its decarbonization process in shorter periods of time, and that are duly verified by accredited companies. In a first milestone, the company commits to achieve by 2030 a 40% reduction in the global energy intensity of its processes, and a 55% reduction in the total GHG emissions of scopes 1 and 2 (expressed as CO2 equivalent), in both cases with respect to the verified values of the year 2010.
Similarly, UBE Corporation Europe expresses its commitment to reduce the consumption of fossil resources in its production processes, and incorporate its products into a circular economy model. The company will continue studying actively partnerships and technologies for ensuring that a relevant proportion of its chemical and polymer manufacturing originates from renewable or recycled raw materials.
For more information: https://ube.es/climate-change/